Wednesday, May 11, 2005

 

To Be or Not to Be, That is the Question

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

When the Schiavo media frenzy was at its height, my boyfriend correctly pointed out that neither of us has a health care proxy. His eagerness to remedy that deficiency made me realize that I'm really not sure if I want to give anyone the power to pull the plug.

I kind of sympathize with what Jason Alexander said on Real Time With Bill Maher: "I've told my wife, 'hey, if I'm not bothering anyone, just put me in a corner and leave me alone.'"

Nevertheless, I recognize that putting advance medical directives in writing is a good idea, so I was happy to learn about this new site, by the American Hospital Association, which provides information and resources to assist people in preparing their own health care proxies and living wills.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< A Legally Inclined Weblog >
Free Counter
Counters